Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Community Service


“We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community... Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own.”

--- Cesar Chavez

As most of you know, I started this blog/ site to offer an alternative perspective on this rich and storied community. I address the comforts and plagues; the unity and struggle; the exposure and the escape. Many times it’s not pretty or easy to digest, but I love this community. It is a treasure to me and for all of its ups and downs I will defend it until I’m buried in it.

What This Blog Isn’t
I wanted this blog to be void of the penmanship platform that duplicated the stories that flood the magazine racks on your neighborhood check out line. You know, stories like: Brad & Angelina giving birth to an 11 lb. turkey in the lobby of Bill Clinton’s Harlem Brownstone, during a Jewish holiday, with alternate side of street parking suspended because Mayor Bloomberg stole a third term in office. In short, I tried to leave the sensationalism to the detracting traditional media that continues to under serve the (seemingly) undeserving. After all, why would a sensible student tolerate such a media of mass distractions?

Today, however, I’m going to make an exception to that self-imposed sensationalized rule and offer my perspective on Eldrick Tont Woods or as his shrinking list of friends call him.., Tiger.



I never much cared for Tiger Woods and the under serving newsstands and (loosely-termed) 24-hour breaking news outlets haven’t done much to alter those feelings one way or the other.

Naturally, I don’t know him personally or I may have offered some playa tips. My overall, “beef” with Tiger is I just don’t like elitists or exclusionists. I firmly believe God gave this “green” to all of us, not just an elusive group of white males that (for as long as I can remember) thought a hoe was only used for plowing their manicured greens or sharing their Master’s “head” quarters.



Now I know this restricted sport had their man made clubhouse laws long before Tiger came pawing on the pavement of the pro circuit. But for some reason I got the feeling that Tiger enjoyed -- or at the very least condoned -- this discriminatory / exclusive behavior. You know, like he was immune to not-so-subtle racial, socioeconomic, special, sexist governance. Like his shade of black was better or more acceptable than other black people. The same black people that always seem to find the compassion to support people like Tiger even if they are still restricted from walking on the same green to console him. I got the feeling that Tiger felt like his do-do is more valued or smelled better because the bowl he shitted in had a shiny, more elegant flushing sound. Tiger (no matter what he calls himself) is black and (as of this post) is still married to a lilly white woman. For the record, a black man married to a white woman is cool with me, if that’s how you roll.... around.

I mean Charles Barkley may be the only black person left on Woods’ speed dial. My red flagged issue with Tiger’s marital union and transgression (as he nicely put it) is if you are a black man in America and you ONLY date white women EXCLUSIVELY!! That is a concern for me –not a HUGE concern like the abovementioned, but a concern nonetheless. Now, I don’t mind if you like your coffee with a tad more cream and a bit less rhythm than my taste will allow, but my deeper concern is if that’s the ONLY beverage you dance with. That type of exclusion probably says more about him and further fuels my dislike.

As of this post, Tiger’s sponsors still “like” him and are riding with him like a wrecked Escalade. This is “par for the course” as one would expect a profiteer to side with the color green -- not black, white or blond. That’s just good business nothing personal. Some of these sponsors will make statements like: “We offer our sincere hope that Woods and his family find a peaceful way to move forward.” What that really means is “I cannot wait until the pro golf tour starts again, so we can sell more products to the black families that cannot attend our exclusive events, but want to support Tiger in any way possible.” I don’t own any Woods’ paraphernalia and Buick isn’t even in my top 30 of car choices.

I will however keep my eye on the Tiger and keep you posted, as I feel this is my duty to the community and it’s a pleasure serving you.

If only Mr. Woods felt the same.


click on blog title/ arrow for bonus tracks


1 love,
Ray Lewis

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya Ray. Each time a new woman surfaced I kept saying to myself WOW, he really is not attracted to black women AT ALL...

Unknown said...

My man, i honestly must say I read this blog post and still an mot certain what your point is. I get that you don't like Tiger, not realy sure why, cause he dates white women and...cause golf is exclusionist? I must be riding the short bus today, either that or you were whe you wrote it (lol)

Cougar Woods said...

You hit it like a screen door in a hurricane.

Anonymous said...

Whew, and to think I almost gave you a free pass to a golf club in the ATL. Maybe I’ll just send you a hug… via a white woman, just don't shoot the messenger. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I could not have put it any better. There is nothing wrong in mix relationships, just keep it real. Love does not understand barriers; just do not forget where you came from. However,
from a woman standpoint, if a woman is into her man, she knows instantly, no question asks. For the sake of peace, a man is no different. She, his wife was waiting for the right moment, planning her time wisely. I will not put it pass if she knew the girls, deep. That is a talent a woman has. Well, she is sitting in best seat now! She will have this over his head for the rest of his life. Please, I am not letting him off the hook because it takes two. He was stupid to allow the sharks to eat him up. I know how those sharks eat. He allowed his popularity get to his head.

Keep doing what YOU do BEST! Good Job, well said! with love

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

  There are just over 425 days until the next presidential selection. And from all the unofficial, official, on-air political pundits, cable...