Thursday, October 30, 2008

THE LIGHT




You can measure a nation by the way it treats the least among them


The comical political euphoria that is gripping black America is almost knee-slapping funny to me. Because of my outward smirk, people often ask me, [make that, people often TELL ME]… Ray, why don’t you like Barack, man? As if I am breaking some silly fraternity Faux Pas. The internal giggling intensifies when I respond with: First of all I could never dislike someone that I have never met. That would be ignorant. An objective voter would assess it would be equally ignorant to proudly and blindly support someone they have never met either. But, I digress. As crazy as (local congresswoman) Cynthia McKinney was (and still is) at least she came to my house for a pledge and support. So if I were to try to defend her at least I have a REAL, first hand foundation. Starting to see the light?

Nevertheless, its this type of social observation that got me ushered out of an Oprah book club meeting, when I simply stated, I think Oprah lowers that standard of journalism. Can you believe they kicked me out of the meeting for that? And, the meeting was at my house. I have come to the conclusion that Barack and Oprah have managed to elevate their social platform so high that they are above CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Think about that for a second! They have not only circumvented the First Amendment Right, they are now reached mythical proportions. Like that of Gandhi, the Pope or Jesus Himself. Actually, I hear people criticizing the latter three all the time and defended much less. Imagine that Heavenly round-tabled discussion.

I think the saddest part of this commentary is layered with irony. For starters, it is my belief that Barack would warmly welcome an open conversation about some of the issues that I have raised (on this site) and that most loyal supporters are in total oblivion to. His two-time Patriot Act support would top that list. I believe his concerted effort to remain race-neutral is worth a lunchroom discussion. Especially since big, fat white women still clutch their purse when I enter an elevator and I am not going to raise anyone’s taxes. We’d probably need more than a lunch to discuss, The Point System, World Banking, Katrina, the real predators behind 9-11, and finally, the consolidation of banks that are being neatly veiled as a “middle class” Bailout. Barack, is so smooth, I almost fell for that one. ALMOST!! We would have to go to sleep-a-way camp to discuss why black kids are moving target practice for white police officers. My rabbit ear antenna must have failed when Oprah did that show.

Now, I know what you electric sliding Barack line dancers keep telling me… Man, just wait until he gets into office, he’ll address all of that and more. Funny, these same loyalists said that about Bill Clinton.

Remember him? Yep, that dumbly dubbed “Black President.” That's right the same president that called your boy…, Boy!! Oh, boy! Clinton and Barack appear to be boys, again. It is amazing what a 30-minute infomercial and a singing, fat lady (warming up an Oval Office) will do for a friendship. Man, politics make for strange bed fellows.




Rest well, Barack. I know black people and their euphoria…. it can turn like an off-key Mary J. concert or a crowded Barney revival. If that happens give me a call man, you know I’ll listen. After all that’s what REAL friends are for.

Click blog title for video, underscore.

1 love,
Ray Lewis

4 comments:

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Whew, Ray, you sure ain't trying to win popularity points in the world of black blog readers! Lol, you a brave mofo coming out like this so close to the election.

I disagree with one central point of your post: you said Barack has placed himself above criticism.

Nuh uh. He didn't need any help with that. Like the Oprah fans that excused you from the club when you made a criticism of her, such is the case with so many of the Obama supporters, black ones especially.

Our history plays a mega-role in this, along with McCain-Palin pandering to the bigots at their hate-fest rallies until world news took notice. Lots of other reasons including the rabid hate of fixed news and the Far Right which are nearly all GOP and Christian-Zionists.

I agree on some other points. I was incredibly pissed that he supported FISA and said so numerous times in my blog. I don't think he'll reverse it, either. I never understood why he took that compromise, since in his early promo, he clearly said "we don't want federal agents poking around in our libraries".

See that quote at 1:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUUYo9o9eg

He's also very much a pro-corporate guy, but at the same time, less so than McCain who will make those crooks richer with the taxes.

His signed off on the Welfare To Wall Street Ripoff - but Bush had threatened blackmail to Congress with Martial Law if they didn't, which would have canceled out the Elections.

I don't know if you read blackagendareport.com, but it's one of the black intellectual sites I go to. They're good for fine-combing through his program and can't stand him - but they give reasons to make any true progressive think beyond the skintone thing. They love some Cynthia McKinney, but as you point out, there's something about the way she presents that doesn't inspire confidence. That's the nicest way I can say that. I do, however, like what she's said she would do a President.

Well, she ain't gonna get that chance. Neither will Dennis Kucinich, whose politics match my own far more than Barack's.

Thus, I will be rolling the dice on Nov 4th that he will do some good in the country, but I almost feel sorry for him if he wins this smoking economic wreckage of a nation, and we've yet to see how bad bad is gonna get. Most of us don't have a clue. This Great Depression will make the last one look like a cakewalk. Israel is still spoiling for a war with Iran, and Barack thinks going into Pakistan is a good idea. Shee-it. We're too broke for war.

I do dig his smarts, though, and his Presidential swagger. I doubt that he'll get us nuclear fried faster than the trigger-happy Dumb & Dumber puppets.

Anyway, nice to see you posting again. Drop by sometime for a laugh or a good read. Take care, Kit

MsJayy said...

My one wish (the one I’ll share publicly): shrink myself down, crawl in your ear & watch your mind work.

This whole election has me confused. I need a playbook. The lines are blurred between actually thinking deeper than sound bites, “hateration”, “crabs-in-a-barrel-mentality”, & “revoke her Black-in-America card”.

BTW. My “That One” tshirt has your pic on it.

Anonymous said...

Turn the volume down cynic. what have you done later to boost moral, other than yourself. I'm not buying your jaundiced spill on this historical event.

"yes we can"

Iam Robert said...

Very thought provoking post Ray. Bottom line, our democratic system of government asks each of us to be involved in our government and to demand that our leaders do what’s in our best interest. To do this, we must ask questions of them--and expect answers. You have exercised the highest form of citizenship by asking these questions of the highest official in the land. I'm proud of you.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

  There are just over 425 days until the next presidential selection. And from all the unofficial, official, on-air political pundits, cable...